8 UTI Prevention Tips
Taking certain measures can help reduce your risk of getting an infection. However, always speak to your healthcare professional or continence nurse when dealing with a UTI.
We have put together some simple tips designed to help reduce your risk of getting a UTI when cathing:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after your cathing routine. Download our simple hand washing guide here.
- Clean your genital area using an antiseptic wipe. Pay attention to the entrance to the urethra
- Touch the catheter as little as possible. Preferably not touching it at all.
- Use the handling sleeve in your catheter pack to control the catheter, minimising your contact with your catheter
- Avoid using fragranced soaps and washing solutions
- Drink plenty of clear fluid, ideally water
- Avoid wearing underwear and trousers that are too tight around the genital area
- Empty your bladder after intercourse